When you derive a part in Inventor 2012, in the Derive Part dialog, the option “Use color override from source component” is grayed out and selected by default.
So, if you want to apply a different color style to the derived part, you need to select the derived node in the derived part browser and uncheck the option.
The same applies when you mirror the components in an assembly or when you create them using the Make Components functionality in a multibody part.
In these cases, the option is not available in the Mirror Components or Make Components user interface.
So you need to edit the derived node of each individual derived part where you want to apply a color style different from the source part.
If this is a common daily workflow process, you can disable the option “Use color override from source component”, by default, following the steps below.
Before following the procedure, you need to install the SP1 for Inventor 2012, if you have not done it yet.
- Close Inventor.
- On the Start menu (Windows), click Run.
- In the Run dialog box, enter REGEDIT.
- In the Registry Editor, locate the following key and export it:
- Save the reg file on your machine and name it, for instance, “color_override_on.reg”.
- Extract the reg file from the Color_override_off.zip file on your machine, double-click on it and accept to change the registry settings.
- Restart Inventor.
The new setting applies just to the new derived parts you create after applying it.
If you want to go back to the previous default setting, you need to close Inventor, double-click on the file “color_override_on.reg” you have created in the step above and restart Inventor.